Advice centre

As a thatch or listed homeowner, you’re often unknowingly exposed to risks, which is why getting the best insurance is so important. Our thatch and listed property advice centre offers a suite of useful information to help you make informed decisions about protecting your thatch or listed home.

Thatch & listed insurance guides  I  Underinsurance  I  Arrange a rebuild valuation  I  Contents calculators  I  Minor Works Questionnaire  I  Useful links

Thatch & listed home insurance guides

Download your free guides today! We’ve developed two free guides about thatch insurance and listed buildings insurance. Packed full of useful information and top tips, our guides cover a range of topics to be aware of when arranging insurance for your thatched or listed home.


Get my thatch guide › Get my listed guide ›

Thatch property electrical report guide

Download your free guide today! Electrical reports have increasingly become a standard requirement of many thatch home insurers over the last decade or so. As a result fires caused by electrical faults have been significantly reduced.

We recommend that you read this guide and pass a copy on to your appointed and approved electrician.

Being aware of the terms required by our insurer may save you time, inconvenience and cost at a later stage.

Get my electrical report guide ›


Read our guides and you’ll be able to:

 Better understand the main elements of insurance and how you can arrange your policy more effectively

  Answer questions and criteria asked by insurers when arranging thatch or listed insurance

  Identify safety measures you can take to protect your thatched or listed home

  Arrange an insurance policy that best fits your property

You can use our guides to check areas of cover on your current policy or as a reference tool when comparing policies from different providers.


If your thatched or listed home is underinsured, this could cause you to receive less than you expect in the event of a claim. Read our guide to underinsurance to learn more.

Learn how underinsurance could impact you

Arrange a rebuild valuation

To ensure you’re accurately calculating your sums insured, we recommend that you seek a formal rebuild valuation from a professional source such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

Find a surveyor through RICS

Contents calculators

It’s easy to underestimate the total value of your home’s contents. Our thatch and listed home contents calculators will help you estimate the value of your possessions within your own property.

Minor Works Questionnaire

If you’re having work done to your house or garden you need to let your insurers know.

We will amend your policy to better protect you and your home.

Complete our questionnaire and return to us.

Download it here

Useful links

We’ve put together a list of websites which offer tips and advice on looking after and protecting your thatched or listed home. We’ve also included links to advisers or contractors who are able to carry out any necessary work, so you can satisfy the requirements of insurers.

Please note: we have listed the external websites below for information purposes only. We do not control or endorse any of these sites and are not responsible for their content.

General thatch & listed building advice

Listed buildings advice

British Listed Buildings supplies an online database of buildings and structures that are listed as being of special architectural and historic interest. Historic England provides practical advice on maintaining, repairing and making changes to your listed home.

Thatch advice 

For general advice about thatched property maintenance, thatching materials and more, visit the Thatch Advice Centre website.

Maintenance, safety & security advice


For information on bells only and monitored alarms that are SSAIB registered, visit the SSAIB website.

Chimney sweeps

For general safety advice and to find a sweep for your thatched property, visit the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps or the National Association of Chimney Sweeps.


For advice on electrical safety, visit the Thatch Advice Centre page on electrical safety.

Search the NICEIC registered contractors database to find an approved contractor.


For information about locks and to find a locksmith, visit the Master Locksmiths Association.

Master Thatchers

To find a registered Master Thatcher, visit the National Society of Master Thatchers.

Visit the Thatch Advice Centre for information about choosing a good Master Thatcher.


Visit the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors to find a surveyor and arrange a rebuild valuation to help you calculate your sum insured.